It can be difficult to know when your child might need braces to straighten their teeth, especially because teeth can fall out over a period of years. Oftentimes, not all adult teeth will grow in straight and braces will be required to straighten them properly. The ideal time period for your child to get braces is between ages 8 and 14, when almost all of their adult teeth have grown in. It is not uncommon for a child to have all of their permanent teeth before age 8, in which case you can consider getting them braces earlier.
Timeline of a child’s teeth:
- Between 6 months and 2 years your child’s first set of teeth, or their baby teeth, should begin to grow in
- Around age 6, your son or daughter’s baby teeth should begin to fall out, however, this can occur at later ages as well
- Baby teeth usually fall out on their own when the adult tooth begins to grow in and take the baby tooth’s place
- Between ages 8 and 14, your youngster should have almost all of their adult teeth
- Between ages 8 and 14 many kids will receive their first round of braces to begin to straighten and align their teeth properly
- Sometimes a child’s tooth development can be advanced or delayed, and this timeline may be shifted slightly according to their development
The answer to whether or not your son or daughter is too young for braces is subjective. Every child is different and develops their primary and secondary teeth at different times. However, the most important thing when it comes to considering braces for your child is whether your son or daughter has the majority of their permanent teeth. If your child has most of their adult teeth, at any age, it is time to consider braces.
Doctor Lee at Burlingame Smile Studio can determine whether or not your child needs braces and advise on the proper orthodontic schedule.
No one is ever too old for braces
Many individuals did not receive the opportunity to get braces in their childhood, and now that they are older they regret it and desire straight teeth. For those adults that did not have braces when they were younger, it is important to remember that it is never too late to get braces and no one is “too old” to have braces. Straight teeth impact an individual’s appearance and serve an important purpose both practically and visually.
Contact Burlingame Smile Studio:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):