Orthodontic treatment is an option for most adults with crooked teeth or an uneven bite, as well as children and teenagers. Some of the most common situations in which orthodontic treatment may be considered in adults are:
- Crowded, crooked, or misaligned teeth
- Deep bite
- Jaw and/or facial asymmetry
- The excessive gap between teeth
- Aligning teeth before placing veneers, crowns, implants, or even dentures
What orthodontic treatment is suitable for adults?
For some adults, the idea of traditional metal braces is unattractive. Some people worry that wearing braces may have unwanted effects, such as making them more self-conscious at work or affecting their social life. However, thanks to modern technology, orthodontic treatment is a viable option for almost every adult, with an even wider range of options. An experienced orthodontist can determine the most effective treatment available for your individual case.
- Clear aligners such as Invisalign® are one of the most popular options for adults looking to undergo orthodontic treatment. Clear aligners can be an effective, simple, and convenient treatment method. However, this is only suitable for people who are disciplined enough to follow the instructions on how to wear and care for their clear aligners.
- Braces have changed a lot over the years! Gone are the days when sturdy metal braces were the only option. Modern tooth-colored or clear ceramic braces are softer and advances in orthodontic technology mean that adult braces are now smaller and more comfortable than ever before.
- Lingual braces work like traditional braces, but they are glued to the back of the teeth instead of the front. They are the only truly invisible option when it comes to orthodontic treatment – because they are behind your teeth, no one can see them!
Besides improving the appearance of your smile, there are many other reasons to undergo orthodontic treatment. Patients often report a psychological benefit from orthodontic treatment, often reporting an increase in their self-confidence. Plus, a healthy, beautiful smile can give you confidence in your professional and personal life, giving you the confidence, you need to succeed whether you’re in the boardroom or on a first date.
Contact Dr. April Lee at Burlingame Smile Studio we serve Burlingame, CA, Hillsborough, and Millbrae.